At Kochevar Endodontics our endodontist and team provide endodontic care, including root canal treatments in South Jordan, Utah, and to patients around the Salt Lake Valley. During your visit, Dr. Jeff Kochevar will give you instructions for your aftercare; and we have provided those instructions below for you to review before your appointment. It is extremely important that you carefully follow your post-op instructions to avoid an infection and a need for retreatment.
- Do not eat anything until the numbness in your mouth wears off. This will prevent you from biting your cheek or tongue.
- Do not chew or bite on the treated tooth until you have had it restored.
- Be sure to brush and floss your teeth as you normally would.
- If the opening in your tooth was restored with a temporary filling material, it is not unusual for a thin layer to wear off in-between appointments. However, if you think the entire filling has come out, contact our office.
- Call our office immediately if you develop any of the following:
- A visible swelling inside or outside of your mouth;
- An allergic reaction to medication, including rash, hives or itching (nausea is not an allergic reaction)
- A return of original symptoms; or your bite feels uneven.
Following a surgical procedure, it is normal to experience some discomfort or mild swelling in the associated area. By following these guidelines, you can minimize your discomfort and improve the healing process:
- Do not rinse your mouth out the day of the surgery. The following day rinse every 3 to 4 hours with warm salt water.
- For the rest of the day, eat only those food that are not too hot or difficult to chew.
- Apply an ice pack for 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off to the affected area for the first 24 hours. This will help minimize swelling in the area. The following day, if there is swelling, apply heat to the area.
- Prescription antibiotics are to be filled and taken immediately.
- After 24 hours, you may start brushing the surgery site. Gently brush your gums toward the tooth only. Do not brush up and down or side to side.
In case of severe pain, excessive bleeding or any unusual disturbance, contact our office immediately at 801-282-1651.